Electrical maintenance is crucial for the safety of your workplace and can prevent accidents. It can also increase energy efficiency and save on electric bills. While the best course of action to minimise electrical risks in the office is regular maintenance, you should also look for signs that you need to call a professional electrician to perform maintenance work for your commercial site.
Electrical Outlets are Warm to Touch
One indication that you have an electrical issue is the outlet is hot after unplugging a device. An electrical outlet can become warm during the conversion process of changing AC power to DC power. You need your outlets to be at room temperature.
Also, your commercial property may have an older circuit breaker and is now using another breaker with high ampacity. It can cause higher current levels than the original circuit could handle. In such a case, an electrical outlet that is warm to the touch is an indication of mismatched wiring. An expert can fix it for you.
Flickering Lights at the Office
A minor problem like flickering lights becomes significant when it occurs regularly. An electrical specialist can identify the cause of the problem, whether it is due to an overloaded circuit or a light bulb issue. If it is an overloaded circuit, it means your office is plugging in too many appliances or devices in a single line, resulting in power shortage.
Also, the circuit wiring may no longer be compatible with the current standards. If the flickering office lights are happening in more than one circuit or room, it is best to contact an electrical services company immediately.
The Circuit Breaker Trips Often
There are a few reasons why a circuit breaker trips. It could be due to a circuit overload, has shorted to the ground, or problems with the electrical wire conductors. An experienced electrician will review the connections and wires to detect the underlying cause and rectify it.
Overloaded circuits, in particular, can be quite complicated to a regular DIYer. An electrical services company will have the right tools and equipment to identify the problem and to conduct tests for overloading. These professionals may also need to attach ground wiring to devices and outlets.
Sparks When Plugging and Unplugging Office Equipment
A clear indication that you need an expert to check the outlets in your office is when there are sparks every time you plug and unplug a device. At times, sparks can be a typical circumstance with no grave underlying cause. But sometimes, the sparks could be the result of excessive heat escalating in the outlets, which is a sign of a more serious issue. It can also cause other problems such as melting insulation wire cover or setting off an office fire.
On the other hand, water exposure can cause sparks, short outing the circuit. Another cause for the sparks is the age of your electrical outlets. Older and worn-out outlets have a higher risk of short circuits. Moreover, check the cords of your older office appliances, as they may be the culprit of such problems.
A well-thought-out plan for electrical maintenance can enhance safety at the workplace. Choose a licensed electrician to perform maintenance and repair work, so you can avoid business interruptions as well as reduce costs. In the process, you are providing your employees and clients with a safe working and visiting space.
Latest posts by Zoya Maryam (see all)
- Common Garden Fails that Drive you Mad - September 11, 2020
- The Definitive Guide to Selecting the Best Digital Marketing Agency - August 27, 2020
- Perfect Feasts for Your Success: Buffet Your Day Away - July 20, 2020