In high temperature can leave many of us exhausted. To combat this, people adopt different measures like AC, coolers etc. But, when it comes to the most efficient ways of cooling, then you can rely on evaporative cooling. Just when you sweat a lot, and a cool breeze sweeps away all the heat and gives you a soothing and cooling effect, this is exactly what evaporative cooling is. This is a way to manage the scorching heat of summers. There is the same way an evaporative cooler function and works. This works on the fundamental of water being heated to the extent that it begins to evaporate, creating a cooling effect. With this simple scientific approach, these coolers create a good cooling impact that will leave you relaxed even on a hot sunny day.
What is the Difference Between an Air Conditioner and Evaporative Cooling?
Although both are cooling methods, they both use different techniques to cool the body and the area they are installed in. Just like a refrigerator has a condenser and compressor, the air conditioner works on the same technology where it absorbs the cool air. In other words, we can say that it works on a vapor compression system where the unit throws cold air from the inside part and hot air from the back, where the compressor is. Unlike this, the evaporative cooling is more useful where the weather is dry and hot. This method of cooling incorporates a simple method of evaporation of water thereby creating a cooling condition. The reason why this is more effective in dry weather is the presence of water that along with cooling the air, also moistens the atmosphere. The other benefit of this the fact that the energy used in this process is much less than that used by the air conditioner.
Types of Evaporative Cooling
We can distinguish evaporative cooling in a few ways, like, direct, indirect, hybrid and passive.
- Direct Evaporative cooling: In this type of cooling the water content of the cooled air increases. The air passes through a moisture-laden surface which cools the air. This happens because the air is in contact with the evaporated water which makes it continuously cold.
- Indirect Evaporative cooling: This means that the air is not always in contact with water, therefore, it does not reduce the water level. In this case the air is not that cold as it does not come in contact with water content. In this type of cooling system there is the usage of a secondary air stream “Scavenger” which is cooled by water. The air which gets cooled and passes through scavenger passes through a heat exchanger and here it will cool the primary air stream and eventually circulating it into the surrounding area. This way of evaporative cooling can be used during humid days when the percentage of water in the air is anyway high.
- Passive Evaporation: This form of cooling happens when the evaporation happens on its own. For example, in a fountain, when the water is thrown at speed and the presence of air is already there. This gives natural cooling.
- Hybrid Evaporation: This form of evaporation needs to be mechanically controlled. This type of cooling system combines the benefit of dry and evaporative cooling thus reducing heat and energy consumption.
Steps Taken When Using an Evaporative Cooler?
Well, evaporative coolers are very effective, but to ensure that you get the maximum benefit out of it. Following tips will help you make the best use of the evaporative cooler.
Tips to Follow:
Keep the windows open: While using an evaporative cooler, a constant supply of air must be there so that the water filled in the cooler’s tank can give cold air when it comes in contact with the water. For this all the windows in the room must always be open. When using a cooler in a closed room with Direct evaporation cooling, you will begin to feel humid and uneasy after a while. Besides, in a closed room when the air re-circulates, it increases the temperature and heat contrary to making the room cooler. So, you must ensure that there is ample ventilation in the room when you are using evaporative coolers.
Avoid using pumps in rainy season: Evaporative coolers are a good choice for hot and dry conditions, if there is humidity, then to make cooling more effective, make sure to turn off the pump. In such a case the air automatically comes in contact with water and cools the room.
Maintenance of evaporative cooler: Every season before using, make sure cleaning is properly done. Change the pads periodically and also clean the filters for an efficient throw of air.
As evaporative coolers are much cheaper than an AC, it is affordable and does not dry the room due to the presence of water. Go ahead this summer and enjoy the evaporative cooling system to make your house cool.
Image Credits: Shutterstock.com
Latest posts by Jack Louis (see all)
- Tips on Picking the Right Weed & Herb Grinder - December 6, 2019
- What Happens While Using Wheelchairs and Accessories by the Consumers? - November 27, 2019
- Major Factors Contributing to the Cost of Underpinning a House - November 17, 2019
One thought on “A Perfect Way to Summers: Evaporative Cooling”
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars
Visitor Rating: 5 Stars